Saturday, December 22, 2018

Who Pays When A Domestic Helper Steals?

I am an employer of a domestic helper as well and when I hear about the horrific conditions some of the helpers are subjected to, it makes me shudder and wonder how can someone ill-treat their helper so badly. I for one, treated mine with dignity and respect, and would NEVER allow my children to be rude as well.

I also know of many who disliked the idea of having a helper staying with them, and for a good reason. As the saying goes, "日防夜防,家贼难防".

We all know how strict our government is when it comes to prosecuting wrongdoers here in Singapore. So much so that forklift operators had been charged over $1 bribes (maybe a lot of $1 lah) but reading a recent post by a Singaporean in a Facebook group left me perplexed at our legal system and made me wonder what exactly are the rights of us employer? Of course I would need to quantify that I do not know the full truth of the case.

The post is reproduced in full below -



I would like to share what I had encountered and hope that if anyone come across the same as me please think twice before you act. 

I took a transfer maid and she came my house on 25/10/18. Somewhere in November 18, I noticed that my $1 coin worth about $300 is missing but as I have 3 kids. Therefore, I give The Maid benefit of doubt. On 17/12/18, I received M1 bill and realised that my SIM card which was brand new( tag with house broadband ) has been used. Total data used was 7.9 GB which cost $85.60. For the past 2 years, there is no charges at all. I searched for the SIM card within my house however I can’t find it. I started to suspect is The Maid who did it but I didn’t say anything. 

On 18/12/18, my elder Daughter found a Samsung Note 4 (my friend spare phone) in between the 2nd and 3rd mattress which The Maid is sleeping on every night. My gal tried to on the phone but there is a password which was set by The Maid therefore my gal was unable to unlock it. My gal was able to recognise that phone belongs to my friend. Immediately She informed me about it. I took a day leave and rush back home. I then Brought her to The Maid agency. Initially when the agent confronted her, she denied stealing and claimed that she don’t know anything. When I told her that if she don’t unlock the HP password I will go to any HP shop to unlock the password but all charges will be bear by her and I leave her to the agent. A while later, my agent told me that she had admitted to steal the HP. My agent told me that she will let me decide if I want to make police report. At the same time, my agent explained to me that I will have to pay $15 per day (laundry fee), if police want agency to bring her back during investigation period. It might takes up to 6 months time which will cost abt $2,700. After consideration, I decided to make police report and she was brought back by the police. 

Around 11pm, my gal managed to find a bag inside a cupboard where we put all the clothing. Inside the bag, there were a total of 24 $1 coin, I informed the SIO who in charge. (She say they have strong evidence at their end) 

On 19/12/18 at 6.20pm, I received a call from the SIO and she told me that the case has been concluded. A warning was given to her. I ask her did she admitted she steal, she say yes and when I ask abt the money. She claimed that unable to recover. (but we managed to find $24) I told her I want to bring The Maid back since only warning was given to her but she said under MOM, I am not allow to bring her back and kept pestering my agent to bring her instead. ( instruction given to my agent was I will bring The Maid myself) 

On 20/12/18, I called MOM to make a check as I did not cancel her work permit and MOM say if I didn’t cancel her work permit I am still the employer so I have the right to bring The Maid back and continue working with me or transfer her. I make several complaints to the police department regarding the outcome and where is my maid (48 hrs pass) but no 1 responded until at 6.09pm, I received a call from the police side telling me that my maid is at the embassy as no 1 wanted to take her. 

Now I need to have either a police investigating result or make another police report ( to proof that maid is with police since 18/12/18) in order to claim back my loan. I also need to cancel her work permit, get a special pass, buy an air ticket and bring all her belongings to embassy. 

Initially I thought that the police will charge ( at least learn their lesson) that’s why I make the report. If I would know the outcome is a warning, in order to minimise my loss sorry but to say we should just throw back to agent (agent will transfer her to others household)and not report to police. After reporting, we are just making ourselves suffer more loss and busy for nothing. No matter how unhappy u are with the outcome their reply is just pushing here and there.




I am all for providing and ensuring that our domestic helpers are given sufficient protection and prevented from any abuse, but in this instance after reading the above incident from a Facebook group, it made me wonder how well-protected we employers are? We would not like to employ extra help if not for necessity.



Maybe the police have their own set of protocols in handling such cases but one cannot help but feel that they are taking the easy way out this time. Wouldn't it set a good example that we charge the domestic helper and let it be fair warnings to the rest? I have personally knew of many examples of such theft from my own friends and relatives, but they are always let off by their employers.

What can the Ministry of Manpower that controls the issuance of work permits, as well as the Singapore Police Force do or better do to ensure the recalcitrant foreign domestic helpers are weeded out and prevented from returning to work? Do not make law-abiding citizens pay the awful price please.

What are your views on this?

No comments :

Post a Comment