Thursday, June 11, 2015

Jurassic World - The Fourth Instalment

[Media Invite]


The lucky girls with their invite to the premiere screening of Jurassic World
I told my kids that we were going to catch the premiere of Jurassic Park and that got them really excited but my wife gave me the weird look and asked, "What Jurassic Park? Isn't it Jurassic World?" Haha, the old name stuck since the original Jurassic Park movie came out 22 years ago!!!! Yes it was THAT long ago and I was just a teenager then but the animations were already pretty awesome.

The girls with a baby Triceratop from Jurassic World! Looks like the staff we met in Universal Studios Singapore, no?
Leroy acting cool with the motorbike that Chris Pratt rode?
One would reasonably expect another instalment if you have caught the first three, Jurassic Park (1993), Jurassic Park: The Lost World (1997) and Jurassic Park III (2001) and saw the ending. But I never imagined that the wait would be 14 years from the last movie. By now, the expectations for many of us would have been so much higher I guess and I always wondered what would happen to the dinosaurs on that remote island.

Jurassic World takes us back to Isla Nublar, the place where the Jurassic Park incident happened some 22 years ago. It has now transformed into a dinosaur theme park run by a corporation that is looking for ways to increase visitorship. Now that viewing dinosaurs is as common as watching your elephants and gorillas in the zoos, there is serious need to revamp the place to keep investors happy. And that meant new attractions, new dinosaurs. 

I am not going to give you all the spoilers, but I will tell you that the new main character in the movie, the genetically-modified Indominus Rex is one badass intelligent creature and bears the incredible traits of the many other animals whose genes it inherited. For the creature to cause any harm and alarm, it would of course have to escape from its enclosure, which it did and it was hell for both dinosaurs and humans alike from then on.

The scenes would have been rather gruesome if they were actually shown in full but there were not much actual blood and gore as one might have expected. Some scenes,like the ones with the GM Rex closing in on the characters left me holding on to my breath while other death scenes were erm, rather comedic. The kids also remembered the hero of the movie as Starlord (Chris Pratt) after catching Guardians of The Galaxy Red Carpet Event and movie last year and was happy to see him back on the big screen again.
 
The kiddos enjoyed the movie VERY much, that they wouldn't even leave their seats for their usual toilet breaks. The CGI and animatronics were so realistic that  they truly believed the existence of the park and the dinosaurs, and were even asking me to bring them to the theme park. In fact, I was also able to immerse myself in the movie and could almost imagine going for those rides myself too. The place actually reminded me of Universal Studios theme parks and watching the movie in 3D greatly enhanced our experience!

Steffi with her 3D glasses waiting for the show to start!
Besides only some plot twists relating to animal allegiance, the rest of the movie was rather predictable and I surprised Leroy a couple of times by telling him exactly what would happen next. Having said all that, I wouldn't have complained even if I had paid for the prices for weekend tickets, It would make a nice family movie outing, especially those with older kids if you just let your imagination run wild. And now the kiddos regard the original T-Rex as their hero, even though Leroy said to me, "I knew why T-Rex lost, it was because his arms were too short!" *wink wink* 




No comments :

Post a Comment